Independencia

9:34 AM

Independence Day in Belize feels like a month-long event, culminating this year with the Independence Day weekend. The actual holiday fell on a Sunday, which was great timing because it meant that Monday would be the observed holiday, while festivities began on the Friday.

Friday during the day, I was invited to march with the students of my village's school in their parade. I was treated to speeches, poems, and dances by the children, with plenty of punta and reggae music playing in the background. Then, we paraded around the village, decked out in the colors of the Belizean flag. Although the day was swelteringly hot, we made it back to the school in time to enjoy the treats prepared by the PTA (including yours truly). Later that day, I went to the river with my CHW and members of both our families. It was a great way to end the day. 











Saturday night there were fireworks in the capital. No matter how many times I see fireworks, I am still in awe of them. I always think of the movie Land of the Dead, where the zombies are entranced by fireworks, but really, who isn't?









You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form