First Vacation & Visitor

11:48 AM


The first week of May, I had my very first vacation! Now what was the occasion, you may ask? I think I would be well within my rights to say, "because I deserve it," but I actually had an even better reason: my sister came to visit me! It was an 8 day whirlwind trip, starting the trip inland in San Ignacio and my village, then making our way to the islands of Caye Caulker and San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. 


Vacation here? I'll take it

My host brother was kind enough to pick my sister up from the airport, so we headed over, me with my sign in tow, and awaited her arrival. I can’t really describe how it felt to see my sister in person after a year apart.

The arrival

First selfie of the trip


I had overbooked my poor sister because I was so excited about her actually seeing and experiencing everything from my daily life here. Saturday had us meeting my friends at a local favorite, Guava Limb Café, and then exploring San Ignacio’s nightlife.
View from the hotel

selection of Guava Limb's best

Red Velvet Cheesecake, a must-have



Sunday we ventured into Cahal Pech, and then proceeded to relax and enjoy our hotel’s pool and amenities.


Leading the way


I see you!



Breakfast at Pop's, one of my fave places


Pool with a pterodactyl...? 


Teva tan strong

That beautiful Belizean sunset

Sunset, poolside

Monday, I took my sister to my village. This was such an emotional moment for me. For my sister to meet my host family, to see firsthand where I live and work, where I walk and buy groceries and exercise and bathe in the river, was more than I could ever hope for. We had always talked about her visiting my village, but I know that people can be (understandably) hesitant about venturing off the beaten path and experiencing rural life in a foreign country. My sister took the bus, walked around the village, chatted with my host family, and even enjoyed a Fanta from our local store. She did it! I was so proud. 


sweaty bus ride full of excitement

me, blood sister, host sister sippin on soda: a beautiful moment


Early Tuesday morning, we were off to Caye Caulker. We went snorkeling, and I got to introduce my sister to the joys of the Split.

Captivated by the water

Landed at paradise


Hammock life for me
yes to mini-donuts always

there I am, snorkeling w the sharks!

Welcome to The Split

The best spot

Our last leg of the trip was in San Pedro. Here, we enjoyed beach time, a sunset cruise, and some amazing shrimp tacos that were not photographed because I could not wait that long before consuming them.


The turtle we could photograph

:)


Sunset cruise smiles

Sunset in progress 

Did I feel seaduced? Maybe a bit

Not sure what's happening

Hearty breakfasts
Repping my country in my new home


Then of course, the day of her departure came around incredibly quickly, and I suddenly found myself on a bus back inland, sobbing while the lady next to me pointedly looked away and out the window.  I regained my composure halfway between Belize City and Belmopan, but I still felt burdened by sadness; having my sister here reawakened the part of me I try not to think about while living in Belize: how I miss my family, friends, and American life.

Having my sister visit me and taking a “real” vacation meant that I could be completely myself. Village life can be a tremendous balancing act that I continue to learn how to perfect. It's stressful, truly a 24/7 job as I must present myself at work and at home with my host family in a way that best represents the professional and representative of the United States I am. My life is at times rewarding, challenging, lonely, and frustrating, often all in the same day, so having the time with my sister was a way to mentally recharge and relax. Who better to do that with than the person whom I grew up with, shared my secrets with, who knows the most about me and still loves me anyway? 

 It took a few weeks for me to write this blog post because it was so hard for me to relive our trip while going back to daily life here. I needed time to pick up the momentum and attend to my work here. It was the worst case of post-vacation blues I've ever experienced. I had to regain my motivation, remember my purpose, put in the time in my village, go back to work with my CHW and school to relearn the daily routine, and remember the joy I feel when I have small victories in my everyday life. Now, I can look back and smile and not completely dissolve into tears when I think about our trip, while continuing my quiet life in my village. 

I’m eternally grateful to my sister for being my first visitor here and providing me with a dream vacation. She set the bar high, so anyone else planning on visiting, beware! But if you buy me shrimp tacos, that will help your ranking…

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form