First Impressions

10:53 AM

A little description about my site: I’m in a small village in the southern Cayo District, where the capital is also located. Our training was in the Cayo District as well, but my permanent site is in a more rural area. Farming is one of the top occupations, although tourism jobs are increasing in the area. There are rivers and jungle surrounding, and wherever you look, you can see hills and mountains. It's an ecotourist's dream, or really anyone who enjoys the outdoors. 

I’m only a few weeks in, but the nature that surrounds me still humbles me. Whenever I’m feeling down or stressed or overwhelmed, I try to take it in and remember that I’m living in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I try to remember too that the beauty is not just reflected in my surroundings, but in the company I keep, the people I've met, both Belizean and American, while I am on this journey. I already know I have a strong support system in America, but realizing that I have built bonds with others in country can help those feelings of loneliness and frustration fade away. 

The concept of a host family still takes me aback, in that a family can open their doors to a complete stranger and feed them, look after them, and teach them about the local culture while being open to learning about the habits and culture of someone else. My own host family has been nothing but welcoming to me, and with every conversation I feel that our understanding deepens. I'm constantly striving for understanding, to know where a person has been, where he or she is going, and how all of this affects their thinking. Context is everything, both with language meaning and intent. Communication is most important, and above all I am grateful for a host family who not only talks, but listens. 



Dead fer-de-lance, aka pit viper, aka yellow-jawed tommygoff, aka an early birthday present for me (!)







You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form